The Haircut and a Swiss Army Knife
So, yesterday, my daughter and I went to get our hair done. This is a little something we do every couple of months or so on our "girl's day out." Anyway, I just love the German lady who does my hair- USUALLY! Yesterday, it seemed as though she was in a hurry to finish me up so she could leave for the day- I wish my work days ended in the middle of the afternoon. (Anyone that lives in Germany knows that "when the whistle blows" the Germans are DONE for the day. They never work one minute overtime- NO LIE!) Back on track, so I was getting the usual color, highlights, cut, and style. Now, my hairdresser does a good job, but she is a little sloppy with the color on occasion and dripped on my neck. She did not notice until the color had set (with heat) on my flesh. Not a big deal, except I have my hair cut very short in the back. She decides to scrub my precious skin with bleach and then shave my neck... OUCH----HELLLOOOO- chemical burn. I also have a slight burn on my cheek from the same thing (minus the shaving part).
Afterward, my daughter and I go about our day. By now she and my husband have generously pointed out the enormous red splotch on the back of my neck- mind you, I CAN and DO feel the spot burning like crazy. The day can only get better and it does... by the time bedtime rolled around, I decided that I could not take the discomfort any longer, and would just shower and apply antibiotic ointment to the area. As I am undressed in the bathroom, I grabbed my hand mirror to look at the burn before showering and noticed there was a "long spot" in my hair. Unable to let it go (it is the old cosmetologist in me) I thought, "Let me just snip this off before I shower!" Here is where the fun begins... Rather than get my hair scissors from the drawer on the other side of the bathroom (one step away), I opt for the SWISS ARMY POCKET KNIFE in the medicine cabinet. With mirror in one hand and SWISS ARMY KNIFE scissors in the other, I was ready for action.... that is when the knife slipped from my hand and headed straight for my bare breast, as I grabbed, it happened- I STABBED MYSELF IN THE *expletive* WRIST!!! That DID NOT and DOES NOT feel very good!! On a serious note, I am very fortunate to have not cut an artery, but I am not convinced that I did not injure a tendon. I pretty much shrieked, my husband responded with a, "What the hell were you doing?!?!?" and then proceeded to laugh as I lay crumpled on the bed in shear agony- still naked! (AWW, the love!) I never did get a shower, instead I re-dressed in case I might need an emergency transport to the ER.
Today, the chemical burns are better, but the wrist is extremely sore. Might I just say if there is anyone out there contemplating slicing their wrist(s)... don't do it- IT HURTS BAAAAAADDDD!






Thank you so much for bringing to my attention that some of you are nurses there. If you happen to come across Sgt. Philip Laci, then please tell him that Sean and Melissa Payne are thinking of him.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Holy geez. That is a VERY blog-worthy story! I'm impressed! (and glad you didn't sever an artery)
ReplyDeleteVery funny! But I am not suprised, the craziest things happen to you! I had a good one the other day. I accidently gaged myself while brushing my teeth. When I bent over to throw up in the sink, I burnt my boob on the curling iron! Now I have nice red line across my left boob that hurts like heck.
ReplyDeleteI am sitting here about to pee myself from laughing!!! I hope your hairdresser gives you a discount next time!!! Too funny! In a nice and sincere way:)
ReplyDeleteYou didn't want the emergency room people to think you were going to kill yourself over a bad haircut.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great story. Make your appt. earlier in the day next time.
Hope you heal fast. :)
♥
Joy
Your story sounds like some kind of I Love Lucy episode. It must have been painful at the time yet kind of funny later. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the hairdresser part, I hope you have learned your lesson--Never schedule your hair appt. at the end of the day!
I hope you wrist heals soon.
Hey! I just dropped in for the 1st time, I had a niece that worked in Landstuhl, Last name Westerh, Johanna, I think is her first name, my brothers daughter. Havent heard from her in a while, we are not a real close family, I wonder if you had ever heard of her?
ReplyDeleteAs an update and for clarification... I did not have my appointment at the end of the day for my hair. My appointment was before noon, I just had no idea I would be the hairdresser's last client of the day. It was just a crazy fluke or something, she usually takes her time and does a great job
ReplyDelete