Sunday, April 19, 2009

Italy- Day 1

WOW, I cannot believe it has been almost a month since my last post! My wrist healed up nicely, a small little scar is all (thanks for asking). I actually started to post about Spring Break as soon as we returned from Italy, but was so overwhelmed, I didn't know where to start. I am still not certain I can figure that out. In fact, I may just post several small stories rather than one long one. That would be OK, right? So, my family went to Italy for Spring Break- Yea!! This was not only to be our last big trip before leaving Germany for a new assignment in the states, it was also our last trip before our son goes off to college (I am very SAD he will be leaving the nest). My husband and I decided a bus tour would be the best way to go- not sure I would do that again for a six day excursion! Day 1, we had an early morning departure and were supposed to make it across the Austrian Alps and arrive in the afternoon at "beautiful" Lake Garda and have dinner at one of the lakeside restaurants, before driving on to our first hotel in Venice. Well, we never even saw Lake Garda, at least not on the way TO Italy. All was going well until we reached Austria. Suddenly, traffic came to a complete standstill. No joke, people were getting out of their vehicles, taking walks and picnicking up and down the autobahn. I cannot be sure if this was the cause of the "stau" (traffic jam) or the effect. Approximately five hours later it was over... just cleared up and traffic moved beautifully. Instead of eating pizza and looking out over a beautiful lake, we ate at a rest stop on the side of the road. Don't get me wrong, these are not like the truck stops one experiences in the states. These stops are usually quite clean and decent places to eat, it just wasn't what was on our agenda. So, instead of "beautiful" Lake Garda, we got:

Pretty view, huh? Just Kidding!!

Even though we were not at Lake Garda, we did have some beautiful views of the mountains! After our quick dinner/bathroom break, we loaded back onto the bus. Final stop, day 1, our hotel: Venice! It was very late and we couldn't wait to get to our beds to rest up for our next long day of touring........

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite an adventure. I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering where you were. Glad you didn't give up on blogging.
    The trip sounds great. My husband and I did Germany/Austria over 10 years ago on an 8 day tour. Didn't have those traffic jams, but I remember the reststop. I was apprehensive when I heard we were stopping at one for lunch, but it really was great.
    I really want to go to Italy one day.
    Maybe when my kids are ready for college I'll get there too :)
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh at the little "snafu." We have only taken a couple of bus trips, but there always seems to be a little "glitch." Oh well, we always manage to have a good time, and it sounds like you did as well!

    My daughter is also going off to college this year. (Child #2 for me, my son is there already!) Such a rollercoaster, isn't it? So happy for her and so sad for myself! :D And isn't senior year expensive?! It never seems to end. I wrote a check last night for $45. Ugh! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops! Sorry! I just realized I commented under my husband's name. That isn't the first time and probably won't be the last! So the "Michael Anthony" comment was really from me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story! Thee would be nothing to tell if all the trips went smoothly! That is where the memories come from. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Italy this time of year is simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete