So, here's the deal, there is a product I am fond of known as "TABLETOPICS." Basically, it is a set of cards in a nice little clear box meant to be set near the dinner table, coffee table, etc... Each card has a conversation starter on it. The first set I bought was geared around "the Family"- questions to help open up discussions amongst family members. I thought, since my kids are a little older now, it would be a nice change of pace from the usual dinner banter. Also, being teens, they really don't want to make much small talk with Mom and Dad at dinner.
The first question I pulled from the box, you ask? "What question would you ask your parents if they had to tell the truth?" I do not necessarily remember the questions my kids asked, but I do remember sweating through the process, wondering if I was really willing to tell the truth about any random thing they could think to ask.
I have since bought several more sets of cards- all different topics. I have Politics (which I hate to discuss, but thought it would be interesting during the recent election process),Book Club(I thought these would be useful in the event I ever start a book club group- I'm prepared for many things), Spirit/Faith (some very thought provoking questions), but my favorite set is Ethics, the whole purpose of this post.
Most of my friends know that I really get hung up on the issues of Integrity and Ethics at work. In my line of business, it is a HUGE deal! Anyway, I bought these cards mostly for thought provoking self talk. But, when they came in the mail and I started looking at them, I decided to bring them to the dinner table. The first question out of the box started a battle of wits between my husband and me. We were not going to see eye-to-eye no matter what. Thirty minutes into our argument, the kids got up and left, quietly. We did agree on one thing, this set of cards would no longer be brought to the dinner table.
You would think, having grown up with the man I have been married to for 21+ years, my best friend since 8 years old, we would have similar thoughts. Not so!!
So, I have decided that rather than stress my marriage, for the sake of conversation, I would post some of the "ethical questions" for others to peruse and comment on. Take them to your dinner table and see what happens.
As for my husband and I, we'll find some other way to keep the lines of communication open! ;)
If you are interested in purchasing TABLETOPICS for your home, check them out at
WWW.TABLETOPICS.COM
What a fun idea :) I like your new blog! YAY for blogging! I think you will like it. Just be patient and know that it takes awhile to establish readers...but the more you visit other peoples' blogs and leave comments the more people will come see yours!
ReplyDeletehmmmm... what would i ask my parents...
ReplyDeletethats hard because i would want them to always tell the truth, but i do have 1 question.
do they tell the truth all the time, and no trying to get past the question mom *hawk eyes*
and no, saying santa is real is a lie so it does count.
Awww, but Momo, Santa lives in each and every one of us. And most important... The more you BELIEVE, the more you GET!! ;) As far as the Hawk Eyes remark......... we'll discuss this LATER- stinker!
ReplyDelete