skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Ethical Question #2
I have decided to post my next ethical question for those of you who enjoy a little thought provocation. I realize it has not been quite one week since the last question was posted.... I will be working the next few nights and honestly can say I am not certain when I will be able to BLOG next.
So, here it is:
"If you were asked by school officials if your child's best friend lived in the community and you knew the child didn't, what would you do?"
Now, I happen to know that there are families in this military community who do not abide by school boundaries. My own kids go to school outside of our boundaries, but we played by the rules and requested an "exception to policy." This really sucks at times because we have to provide transportation to and from school for our children.
Maybe, I should give a little background here. My husband and I chose the area we are living in very carefully. The primary reason we moved to this home was because it's location fell into the boundaries of the schools we wanted our children to attend. At the end of last school year, the district decided to re-arrange the boundaries as our son was entering his Senior year of High School and our daughter her Freshman year. Being as we are military, it is not unusual for kids to change schools frequently, but my husband and I both requested extensions at our current assignments so our son could graduate with his friends. Had we known that boundaries were going to change and he be forced to go to a new school anyway, we would have just accepted orders and moved on. So, we did the next best thing and jumped through the hoops of the school district to allow our oldest to stay with is friends at his current school. Our daughter just rode in on the coat-tails of her brother. The negative in all of this is having to provide transportation to and from school.
Back to the question above... None of the re-zoning would have been an issue if parents here had been sending their children to the appropriate school in the first place. I personally knew of 3 people who had given friend's addresses to the school when registering their own kids so their kids could go to the "better" school, leading to an overcrowding situation. So, rather than have parents bring in proof of residence, the officials just re-zoned. The problem could have been solved so much easier if they had just asked me what to do... but they didn't so I will just BLOG about them ;)
So... Yes, I would inform the school officials of the truth. WHY? Because it is the right thing to do and so that future parents won't have to experience what my family has had to go through! Also, since the parents are going through the motions anyway, they may as well do it legally!
I agree! You shouldn't lie to school officials for someone else because they aren't doing the right thing. I SAY TELL THE TRUTH!
ReplyDeleteGOOD ETHICAL QUESTION!
The same situation happened to us. When I sold my house after my divorce and Gabe and I moved within the same city but he was to attend a different school. He was going into 4th grade and the last year at his present school and DID NOT want to change schools. I could have just left my address the same with the school and provided my own transportation and no one would know the difference, but because I had to do the "right" thing, I went through the appropriate school channels to request he stay at the same school. They granted our request and like you, I just have to provide transportation. It is a bum deal some days to do that, but the trade off is worth it. We are going through the redistricting thing too. So to answer the question.. Yes I would tell the truth.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, welcome to the world of blogs. Yours looks great.
ReplyDeleteSecond of all, I would have to answer honestly if asked. Having been a teacher in public schools for 33 years here in Texas, I have seen this abused over and over. I also had to make a decision about where my son would attend school in 7th grade. I was ready to sell my house and move in order to get him into the school where I taught since transfers were not being allowed at the time. Luckily, the rule changed and I was able to transfer him without moving. Note, there were no exceptions just because I was a teacher and both schools in question are in the same school district.
I am a rule follower and expect others to be also.
Just visiting from Allison's bloggie! I love that you're a NICU nurse. My son is a graduate of the NICU, and I love you all for it! Lol!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the (addicting) world of blogs!